This information is to assist you with your Awards entry, and to know what is happening ‘behind-the-scenes’ in the lead-up to the annual WorkSafe Awards function.
The steps in the Awards selection process are:
- Your entry is submitted online and made live
- All entries are assessed and those that demonstrate significant achievement in Health and Safety, Return to Work and Health and Wellbeing will go through a validation process. You will be contacted if your entry has been selected to go through the validation process.
- The validation process is different for each category. For Health and Safety, a WorkSafe Occupational Health and Safety Inspector will visit to your workplace. For Return to Work and Health and Wellbeing a WorkSafe representative may ask you for a telephone interview, or they may visit your workplace to see your initiative.
- Entries that go through the validation process are assessed against set criteria. The best of these will:
- Go into the running to be a WorkSafe Awards finalist
- Could ultimately become the Award winner in their category!
- There are three 'rounds' of finalists selected per Awards calendar year. The calendar year cycle begins after the Awards event is held (usually in October).
- Finalist deadlines are usually around the end of November and March, with the final cut-off taking place in July.
- The earlier you enter, the more chances you have of becoming a finalist. If you do not become a finalist in the first round, you can still be considered for the remaining two.
- The complete list of WorkSafe Awards finalists is selected and announced in early September (after the final cut-off in July).
- The Finalist Panels select the award finalists, and a Recipient Panel decides the ultimate winners. These panels comprise of representatives from WorkSafe’s executive team, senior representatives from industry associations and unions, as well as independent technical experts.
- All finalists are invited to the prestigious WorkSafe Awards event, held annually, where all the Awards winners will be announced.